February 3, 2015

1 Second Everyday: January 2015

I thought I was done with 1SE.  At least for a while.  Truth be told, I was kinda "over it" in December, tired of juggling video clips on my phone and remembering which ones to delete and which ones to keep.  And honestly, I don't multitask very well, so it's tricky for me to remember to grab phone video + phone stills + dslr stills -- it's not unusual for two of those three to be neglected while I'm concentrating on the third.  Truth.  So, I was going to take a break.  I cleared ALL the 2014 pics and videos off my phone card.  Cleaned everything up and out.  A brand new palette.  Breathed a sigh of relief that I didn't need to think about video anymore.  And it felt good.

It felt good for five whole days.  And then I kept seeing moments and thinking, "dang, that would make a good 1SE ..."  And the dudes were all hip to another round, and so it began...



The dog still loves walks, neighbor's Christmas decor awaits disposal, the dudes still like frisbee on the beach, math is still maddening, Big Dude still makes lots of bacon & hash browns, Mom & I went shopping, we still exercise and go to the library, we accidentally injured a lizard (he's fine) while doing yard work, Big Dude installed speakers in his "office", instead of playing card games with guests- we youtoubed, Dad bought a spiffy new car, and life commenced pretty much as per usual.

So, what will be different this time around?  For one, I won't feel the "need" to grab video everyday. This doesn't have to be a "365 project".  If I miss a day, or two, or twenty-two, I will experience no guilt; after all, at the end of the year, I'll still have 300+ slices of daily life.  It's all good.  Another difference: if I have multiple neato slices for the same day, I can throw the extras in a file and Middle Dude can add them to the end of the monthly videos.  If I have a video slice that's way more perfect as 5 seconds than as 1-2 seconds? again, I will throw them in a file for Middle Dude to use at the end. So no more agonizing over choosing between videos slices and being sad about the ones ending up on the proverbial cutting room floor. And no more struggling to make the video slices short enough to fit and being sad about the portion not used.  In short, 2015 will be a more relaxed, loosey-goosey project.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love relaxed loosey goosey projects. I love your boys. I LOVE your Mom and Dad. Yay for new cars and lizards that overcome injury! Yay for beach frisbee and youtube videos. Yay for you. You are an inspiration.

Carey said...

:) LOVE!!! Yay for another 'no pressure' year!!! I love seeing your life through the 'lens' of your eye.

Ava said...

I'm not sure exactly how I found this blog, but Wow! That's a pretty cool project idea, and the first I've heard of this one. I just spent what feels like half an hour going through your clips. I like your 2014 :)

tracey said...

20 points for the AC/DC sound track!
And -50 points for the lizard tail scene.