June 24, 2013

WORKSHOP!!! Registration Open!

Ohmygosh. I’m doing a workshop! A workshop that’s all about the business of “lifestyle”. Be still my heart.

“To me, photography is an art of observation.
It’s about finding something interesting in an ordinary place …
I’ve found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them.”
(Elliott Erwitt)

lifestyle collage

Lifestyle is not: just a more relaxed, casual version of the traditional portrait.
Lifestyle is: imagery that captures actual, real, authentic moments in life.

There are pretty pictures. And there are important pictures. (I first learned this distinction when it was penned by Anna Kuperberg, and it sunk down deep in my soul.) I believe lifestyle images are important. Meaningful. Beautiful. Profound.

As different as lifestyle pictures are from traditional portraiture, so too is the business model necessarily different. In this workshop, we will cover it all, and especially the differences: showcasing, shooting, selling/pricing, packaging … and all the little details along the way: scheduling, brainstorming, client-prep, the question of posing/styling (spoiler: the answer is “no”), putting clients at ease, and difficult lighting situations. Our workshop time will be split between classroom teaching and a hands-on family photography session. We will be a small but mighty group (very limited group size), which will leave plenty of space for individual attention and the ability to ask questions as we go.

The Nitty Gritty:
When:
Friday, October 4th, 8a-noon
Where: Cherry Valley Lodge Conference Center in Columbus, OH
How much?: $400 (for conference attendees, beginning Jun 24th)
                       $500 (for non-conference attendees, beginning July 1 if space is still available)

To register and receive the discounted workshop fee, conference attendees can contact I Heart Faces through the email address listed in their registration packet. As soon as I receive notice of your attendance confirmation, I can send you your workshop invoice.  Registration is open to all non-conference attendees beginning July 1st, and I will post then with a direct Paypal link.

The fun stuff: I’m having a giveaway: a free seat to my workshop! I’ll post all those details July 1st. Those who have already paid for my workshop are welcome to enter the giveaway; should you win (winner will be randomly chosen from “raffle” on July 8), I will happily refund your fee*.

home is bestIMG_9777



*minus any Paypal fees. If you pay by “check”/checking account, instead of by credit card, then there are no such fees, and the refund will be full.

1 comment:

Anita Johnson said...

How I would love to attend!