May 19, 2013

Turning your pictures into Wall Art …

It’s just me again, exhorting you not to let those lovely photos of yours languish in your computer. 

All right. Let’s jump right in. It’s time to get those pictures off your computer and onto your walls where you can appreciate them on a daily basis. I do need to forewarn you: I live amongst dudes, lizards, a dog and a toad. Two of us work from home. Two of us school at home. And thus, our home is not a museum; in fact, it’s usually a mess. And that will be reflected in the pictures I show you of the pictures that live on my walls [embarrassed grin].

Exhibit One: when we first moved down to Southern California ten years ago, I wanted to hang a bunch of pictures that reflected our new locale. I waited for Aaron Bros’ buy-one-get-one-for-1-cent-sale, and loaded up on these 24x20 frames and 20x16 mattes. For not very much money, I filled these walls with pictures that to this day make me smile – especially the one of my teens as very little dudes.

wall - same frame mult times
teens as little dudes

Exhibit Two: I’m a huge proponent of printing BIG. If you have a big wall, put a BIG picture on it! (55x55” canvas – as you can see, it filled half my garage!)

wall - BIG canvas hung


Or put three big pictures on it! (3 – 24x36” canvases)

wall - 3 24x36 canvases

Or maybe nine smaller canvases on it (9 – 10x10” canvases) …

wall - collage of 9 canvases

Or perhaps four 20” square prints (in cheapie IKEA glass frames) …

wall - collage of 4 cheapie IKEA frames

Anywhooo, that’s just my little bit of encouragement to go ahead and print BIG or print many to fill a big space.

Exhibit Three: fill a single frame with multiple images. Oh my, look how little my boys were (excuse me while I go grab a Kleenex and attempt to turn back the hands of the clocks in the house!). If I remember correctly, I got this frame from Pottery Barn – it’s filled with 6 4x6s, 2 5x7s and 1 8x10.

wall - single frame mult pics

Exhibit Four: this is a collaged poster I made for my son out of his favorite images from our vacation. It’s a 20x30 glossy poster print from Costco and cost a whopping $8.99.



And lastly, I keep an inspiration board on Pinterest ( http://pinterest.com/skeller/brainstorming-picture-display-ideas/ to file away fun ideas for future ways to get my pictures out of my computer and onto my walls. As an added bonus, most of the ideas I pin are in homes that are tidy and beautifully decorated. A girl can always dream, right?

pinterest idea board600px


















No comments: