January 16, 2012

Quiet Snippets of Life around Home ...

IMG_2227


The Teen, with his nose deep in C.S. Lewis's Mere Christianity ... he has what he considers to be a full plate of academic courses this year. In fact, he often sighs and grumbles and whines and mumbles about how much he has to do and how very little time he has to do the things he wants to do, to remind us how overworked he is, just in case we should somehow forget.

But when this "Inklings" class became available, he couldn't resist adding it to his course load. Here is the teacher's course description:

"The fundamental goal of classical education is helping students learn to love all that is good, true, and beautiful. This vision for education, lost amidst the decadence and moral turpitude of our modern society, is being revived by Christians around the country. As may be well known, the inspiration and root for this revival is linked to the courage and love for the truth displayed by a few noble men at Oxford University in the mid-twentieth century. These few good men, affectionately referred to as the "Inklings" for their desire to share their writings, stood for the reasonability and beauty of the Christian faith at a university continually succumbing to the "myth of progress" and the separation of faith and reason. Their writings are Christian in the sense that they not only sermonize about faith, but also incarnate their ideas through powerful stories that illuminate goodness, truth, and beauty."

He'll be reading miscellaneous writings of C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkein, T.S. Eliot, G.K. Chesterton, Dorothy Sayers, George MacDonald, Charles Williams, W.H. Auden, and Gerard Manley Hopkins. I may not resist being able to read along ... ; afterall,as C.S. Lewis once said,
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again."


p.s. If you're in Orange County, and you have a high school student who may be interested in this evening class, there is still availability for a few more students. Feel free to email me (susan at susankellerphotography dot com) for further information.

post signature

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this image. I really love your family. I am glad he was able to squeeze this class in because it sounds so good!

Tracy P. said...

I would like to take that!

Tracey said...

So wishing I lived in Orange Country. What a great class! Love that picture too--a glimpse of life.

Kimberly June said...

Oh. I dream that one day my son is caught reading C.S. Lewis because he chose to. :)

Anita Johnson said...

I'd say that list included more than a few good men! Such wonderful role models...would love to take that class too! I love that sun filled room for reading, just perfect!

Anonymous said...

I want to take that class!!!

Christina said...

I want to take this class!! Of course, there is nothing stopping me from reading these things on my own... haha

keli [at] kidnapped by suburbia said...

your boys are phenomenal.