August 18, 2010

Fourth Day: More Wildlife

at the National Bison Range in Montana. $5 admission. Visitor Center + Red Sleep Mountain Drive: a 19-mile, one-way, gravel road which gains 2,000 feet.

IMG_4861

IMG_4862IMG_4862-2

"Prior to the 1860s, buffalo were as numerous as the dots on this chart, with each dot indicating 100 buffalo. By 1882, fewer than 100 wild buffalo remained, represented by ONE DOT on the chart."

Big Dude and the boys went into the visitor center. I waited outside in the shade with the Dog Dude. Big Dude came back out to tell me that it was ok to bring Dog Dude in. I picked my jaw off the ground and entered. Big Dude explained to me that we were in Montana now. A state where they don't try to govern every aspect of your life.

Off we go ...

_MG_1519

The wildlife owns the road here, too!

_MG_1524

IMG_4865

IMG_4866

IMG_4867

Even if we'd not seen a single bison, we would have counted this as a beautiful drive ...

bison range 1

Look! Marketing for KIA!

_MG_1544


bison range 2

_MG_1558


At this point, we were more than halfway thru the 19 mile loop, but had only seen those two bison at the entry gate. But we were about to find the rest of the herd ...

post signature

4 comments:

BigDude said...

Forgot to mention...it was H-O-T! Over 90 as a matter of fact.

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see the herd. Can not wait.
Over 90? I started sweating just looking at the pictures.

Anita Johnson said...

So beautiful. Glad I am along for the ride!

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Oh the Mission Mtn Range is my favorite! Love em they are SO beautiful.