April 20, 2009

The Imperial Sand Dunes Recreational Area

I wish I could give you a proper perspective of the massive-ness of this area. Prevailing winds have piled up all this sand. This "dune" is 40 miles long and averages 5 miles across. Below left is a wide shot; on the right is an enlargement of the little "black dot" (aka dune buggies) on the sand on the left.

IMG_8926-EditIMG_8925

And it's not just long and wide. It's super steep.

IMG_8908

IMG_8895


So, of course, we tried some sledding...

sand dunes sledding


More to come. I'm having too hard a time narrowing down the "show these" photos. So to save me some thinking time, I'm just going to inundate the blog with way too many sand photos over the next couple days...

post signature

5 comments:

Lauren W said...

That looks like so much fun! I remember going to White Sands as a kid. I loved it! Though, I will say, digging sand out of my ears and hair for days after was never super fun ;)

Anonymous said...

We have absolutely nothing like that around here (unless you count snow sledding). I did get to do dunes in Brazil, though, almost 10 years ago now. It was super-dangerous, nothing they'd probably ever do without making you sign a waiver in the U.S., but man, was it fun!

Tracy P. said...

Bring em on!

Heidi said...

I would be hurting, I mean seriously *hurting*, after a few minutes of walking/climbing through that sand. Y'all must be in great shape...

attractionsarizona said...

The imperial sand dunes provide outstanding opportunities for recreation. They are exceptionally beautiful and add a lot to Arizona.
http://www.justridearizona.com/