December 15, 2008

Loving a rainy, cozy day at home...

IMG_5042


And a book I forgot to mention in my last reading post:

The Thanksgiving Visitor by Truman Capote - a beautifully told, poignant, holiday story, perfect for read-aloud. Miss Sook is a character to fall in love with, here described by the protagonist Buddy:

"... a custody battle, that, for involved reasons, had left me stranded in this somewhat eccentric Alabama household. Not that I was unhappy there; indeed, moments of those few years turned out to be the happiest part of an otherwise difficult childhood, mainly because the youngest of the cousins, a woman in her sixties, became my first friend. As she was a child herself (many people thought her less than that, and murmured abut her as though she were the twin of poor nice Lester Tucker, who roamed the streets in a sweet daze), she understood children, and understood me absolutely. Perhaps it was strange for a young boy to have as his best friend an aging spinster, but neither of us had an ordinary outlook or background, and so it was inevitable, in our separate loneliness, that we should come to share a friendship apart..."

IMG_5046IMG_5045

post signature

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, how long have those taupe and putty painted 'squares' been on the wall??

Skeller said...

Shhh, You! I'm hoping no one notices.. ;-)

fxmixer said...

I love rainy days. At least, when they don't come too often.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Don't you love how when you post pictures...people don't notice the focus...but what's in the background? :-) So...are you going to paint??

You'll be so proud of me. I took a bunch of pictures over the weekend and didn't use my flash once...

Mama Peep said...

I love the little ice men. Especially poignant since I feel like an ice woman in the tundra that has become WA. :-(

Patricia

I Love Purple More Than You said...

You and your hubby are hilarious. I would've never noticed!

I enjoyed the rain today too. I had the heat on and the front door open, so that we could both be cozy, AND hear the rain at the same time.

Rhea said...

Those little icemen are adorable! Where did you get them or how did you make them?!