May 1, 2008

Traipsing Down Memory Lane...

and a little talk about contrast.

So, my friend Leslie, photographer extraordinaire, asserts that digital images are really not ok until you finish them off with a little work in Photoshop (or, in my case, Lightroom). She says all digital images are in need of a little contrast boost and usually a little sharpening. And she's smart about picture stuff, so I listen closely whenever she shares her golden bits of wisdom. To show you what she means, I've posted below 2 images. The photograph is from our Joshua Tree trip back in 2005 (the Little Dudes all look so .... little!) and was taken with our 5.0 megapixel point & shoot Olympus (the camera we used before dipping into the DSLR world with our Canon Rebel in 2006). The first image is SOOC (straight out of the camera). The second image is the same picture with just a bit of contrast added (and a slight vignette). A little contrast goes a long way. And it makes me look tan. I mean, it actually depicts how tan I really was. Yeah, that's what I meant.

P1010031
P1010031


There you have it. Now, go forth ... add a little contrast ... and conquer.

post signature

6 comments:

Jan said...

That is really neat!!!

Oh, and your other pictures are amazing too. You're a great photographer!!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I need you to hold my hand and show me exactly which buttons to push on photoshop...so I too can contrast and conquer :-)

Skeller said...

Thanks, Jan :-)

Kat - I'm a total Photoshop ignoramus. But, Lightroom? I could hold you hand ... ;-)

Donna Boucher said...

I think it is wonderful.
The first one is flat.
The second one has more color and depth!!!

Excellent.

And it is not over done at all.

Leslie said...

awesome job Susan.... exactly.

and seriously I don't have that much knowledge really trully, I get lucky.

Rhea said...

Oh, I love your tan! lol I love the difference between the two photos. I really need to start exploring my new Photoshop Elements.

Thanks for sharing your pearls of wisdom!